Tips For Choosing Cornell Off-Campus Housing
Slightly less than half of the population of Cornell students (48%) live off-campus. You put in your time in the dorms and not it is time to live on your own. The first step that many of our tenants make is looking for apartments in Collegetown. Ideally, you want to be close to campus and surrounded by your fellow Cornell students. That is the beauty of living in Collegetown, it is almost exclusively Cornell.
Tips for selecting a place
There is a number of things you need to think about before you choose a place to live off-campus.
- Who am I living with? – Do you want a 1BR or studio and will be living by yourself? Do you have a roommate or close friend and are looking for a 2BR. Or do you have multiple roommates and need a bigger apartment or a whole house. Once you figure that out it will make your search easier as you can automatically narrow it down.
- Create a budget – What is your budget? This budget will help you see what apartments you can reasonably afford.
- Location/Neighborhood – Collegetown all the way! There is a chance you may want to live further away from campus or in downtown Ithaca. But most likely, you’ll want to be in Collegetown within walking distance to the campus.
- Furnished or unfurnished? For most undergrads, you ideally want to find a furnished apartment. This will save you a lot of money and energy buying and moving furniture. Remember you will be able to personalize your apartment once you move in.
- Choose the right lease – do you want a year lease or just a semester lease? Most undergrads will want a year lease. This still allows you to go home for the breaks and then right back into your apartment without having to deal with the moving process all over again.
PJ is the way to go
A few things to keep in mind when choosing a company to sign a lease with. PJ apartments have been in business for over 20 years. We have beautiful and historic homes in Collegtown, walking distance to campus. All of our houses are clustered in a 3 block radius so your neighbors will be all Cornell students and fellow tenants of the same company. We have free maintenance that is on call all of the time. We are very approachable. You can contact us any time with questions or concerns and we will address them. We treat our tenants well and have many that stay with us for their whole off-campus time. We also welcome Grad and Ph.D. students as well with a quiet place to live and study! Contact us today as we can help you find a great place to live next year! Don’t wait! Email us and we will speak with you!